Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sabbath Simplicity

After several of my friends recommended this book to me, I finally took the hint and started reading it yesterday. The book is called Breathe by Keri Wyatt Kent. She talks about Sabbath Simplicity, and reading the book is like breathing fresh air. I have read less than 50 pages, and it makes me want to put aside my to do list, all my worries, and just sit at the feet of Jesus.

The book is centered on the following scripture in Matthew 11:28-30:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The yoke mentioned in the verses historically meant a rabbi's interpretation of how to apply God's law, or how to live it out. She quotes Rob Bell, who I know some you know and love, and those of you who don't know Rob Bell, you can find his podcasts at Mars Hill Community Church. He really has a way of explaining things that I never could quite get. In this verse, Jesus is saying that his way of life is easy.

Sabbath Simplicity is a God-focused life rhythm of work and rest. It means to live your life the way that Jesus would, and not in some kind of cheesy WWJD (What would Jesus do?) way. Connecting with God begins with changing our focus and our pace. The first step is to slow down your life's pace so that you can be fully present, mindful, intentional, creating space & to notice where God is working and to join Him in that work.

Even if you don't believe in God or follow Jesus, I think we all miss something in life when we live with our focus on either the past or the future. Slowing down and being present would make this a much better world in our everyday workaday lives. The goal of life is NOT to do as much as I can as fast as I can. Sometimes I just need to hear that over and over, and take the time to appreciate my blessings and what is going right in the world. I know that there is a lot going wrong in the world, but not EVERYTHING is going wrong. While I don't want to live with my head in the sand, I do want to take the time to enjoy what I do have: my family, especially my husband, and my children.

No comments: