Thursday, September 2, 2004

Strong-Willed

A couple of times this last week I caught Focus on the Family's messages on Strong-Willed Children. It has been interesting because I haven't really been thinking of my own children, but rather what was I like as a child. I have always thought of myself as strong-willed and stubborn. I think that my whole family is strong-willed. Listening to the messages confirmed my thoughts that being strong-willed cuts both ways -- it can be good or bad; the choice is up to you. Some strong-willed college students talked of how their parents appreciated their strong-willed-ness. Their parents actually appreciated the trouble that the children caused them growing up because it made the parents better people. That amazes me, and I really like it. It is a good thing to be strong-willed. It is a good thing to be strong-willed. It is a good thing to be strong-willed. God made us strong-willed. Isn't that amazing? There is no wrong in being strong-willed. Just like anger, the sin comes in how we use it. I tend to think that of being stubborn as a burden, and I hate that my family and friends have to help carry with me. It is really freeing to think that being strong-willed is a blessing from God. Of course, I need to be careful not to wrong others in my stubbornness, but I was not made defective. How cool is that?

No comments: