Friday, November 7, 2008

Moving Anxiety


I would say that C, my 4 yo boy, has had the most difficult adjustment to moving. He has regressed in potty training and has had a handful of aggression incidences that had never happened before, but his most obvious display of anxiety has been the wrinkling of his nose and mouth. Instead of greeting new people and new places with cries or screams, he has greeted them with a kind of twisted smile and a wrinkled nose. Gradually as our life has settled into routine, I've realized that the wrinkled nose has become less frequent. Thankfully, C is adjusting and settling in.

Today, a new friend of mine mentioned the wrinkled nose, and how it had almost disappeared. Earlier in the day, I had a conversation with my SIL about how it is hard to find ourselves in our boys. Our boys are just so overtly our husbands that we can't find ourselves. Tonight in the quiet (after the kids had gone to bed) I remembered a picture of a little boy with a wrinkled nose and a soft scowl. The picture is an old black and white photo from a previous generation. That little boy grew up to be my dad. So I'm guessing C's wrinkled nose at uncomfortable situations must come from my side of the family. Maybe there's some of me in him afterall.

No comments: