Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Observations from Moving from Place to Place

This is a list that I put together based on living and moving in so many places. I will probably add a few items as I come up with more. Please leave your own observations in the comments.

1) Not everything is cheaper in small towns: The bigger city that I've lived in the cheaper the water although I've always lived in places where water is plentiful.

2) Sometimes more competition means much better customer service if it doesn't mean better prices.

3) Grocery prices are really not all that different from place to place although Houston has the cheapest grocery prices, possibly because it is so close to Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico. Our food bill has shrunk living in a small town because there just aren't that many places to eat out.

4) Preschools, classes, hair stylists, and oil changes are better priced in smaller areas.

5) People are pretty much the same where ever I've been, but different areas have their own flavor. Each area has its own terminology so in some ways, I have to learn the local language.

6) People who haven't moved around don't realize that not everyone does things the same way. You can definitely tell the difference between areas that are used to dealing with newcomers and those that aren't.

7) Churches in small towns are probably a good 20 years behind what's going on in the big city churches, but community is easier to find in small towns than in big cities.

8) Some small town hospitality would be really creepy in a big city.

9) The internet & the library are great tools no matter where I live, and both have their own social circles.

10) A bigger house doesn't necessarily mean it's harder to clean, but the more stuff I have, the harder it is to clean a house, no matter how big it is. I have gotten better and better at getting rid of stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Moving around doesn't always mean being acceptable of other people. For example Patrick. He has never moved out of Raleigh, but he is very acceptable of new cultures and very understanding.