Friday, February 9, 2007

Magic Thinking

It seems like lately that I have had many conversations with G about magic. I think she is watching too many Disney movies. I think that our world happens so fast ... fast food, TiVo, microwaves, iPods that we have come to expect everything to happen instantly. Our expectations have changed to the point that our patience dwindles due to what I call magic thinking. Magic thinking is when you mentally wave your magic wand and expect things to happen: the meal to be on the table, the house to be clean, the book to be read, the movie to be on. G has asked me why I can't just say the magic word and do .... or have ... appear.

Quite honestly, we should expect things to take WORK. Worthwhile things happen with work or action NOT MAGIC. The law of attraction only happens with thoughts, feelings and actions in alignment. If one of these is not in alignment, then positive changes don't happen. The law of attraction is not about how to Think thinks into existence or as some Christians have put into play the "Name it, Claim it" theory. God doesn't work that way and Nature doesn't work that way. I hope I can teach G that true wonder comes from action not from magic. People, places and things are transformed by actions. This is wonderful and awe-inspiring. Of course, I also believe that prayer is an action. Gratitude is an action. Forgiveness is an action. Am I just talking in circles?

No comments: